The Association of Telecommunications Companies of Nigeria (ATCON) is expected to hold its Annual General Meeting and Election into the National Executive Council (NEC) of the Association by April this year.
The umbrella body of all telecom operators in Nigeria, stated this in a statement signed by its Executive Secretary, Mr. Ajibola Olude.
According to the statement, the election would lead to having new crop of National Executive Council that would be charged with the responsibility of piloting the affairs of the Association for the next two years starting from April ending 2018.
It also said to uphold the principle of transparency in the conduct of the forthcoming election into various positions in the National Executive Council of the Association, CEOs and Directors of all its qualified member companies to take active part in the in Annual General Meeting (AGM) and Election into the National Executive Council (NEC).
The following positions are open for contest in the election: National President, 1st Vice President, 2nd Vice President, National Secretary, Treasurer, Financial Secretary, National Publicity Secretary, Coordinator, Telephone Operators, Coordinator, Infrastructure Providers.
Other positions are Coordinator, Internet Services Providers, Coordinator, Manufacturer’s Representative, Coordinator, Equipment Dealers, Coordinator, Value Added Services and Coordinator, Consulting.
- Any financial member, upon nomination by two other financial members of the Association, shall be eligible for election into any of the elective positions for a term of two years in the first instance subject to re-election for a maximum of two (2) additional terms PROVIDED ALWAYS that such election or re-election is supported by the highest number of votes cast for the candidates for the position at the Annual General Meeting where the election is held.
- To be qualified for an election, a candidate Must be a Chief Executive Officer or at least a Director duly authorized or designated to represent his/her company by its management.
- Process of Nomination
- Any member wishing to stand for election into any of the offices listed on the Nomination Form should fill his/her name in the appropriate column and get two other financial members of the Association to sponsor and support his/her nomination.
- On the other hand, a member wishing to nominate another or other members for election should fill the name(s) of the Nominee(s) in the appropriate column(s) and indicate the organization(s) of the nominee(s) as appropriate. Such a member must ensure that the other members he/she is nomination agree(s) to his/her/their nomination(s) by signing the appropriate part of the nomination form. Also, such member nomination must ensure that each nomination is supported by two financial members of the Association.
- The completed nomination forms should be duly signed and returned to the secretariat not later than Tuesday, March 6, 2018.
- The secretariat may be contacted to pick up duly completed nomination forms or offer any assistance in respect of clarifying any of the above requirements or in the submission of the completed nomination form(s).
- Each member company is entitled to two votes per position. It is therefore expected that each member company will be represented by two delegates each casting one vote in respect of a position. However, where a single individual represents a company, that individual present at the AGM / Election shall cast only one vote on-behalf of his/her company.
- Voting shall be by Secret Ballot.
- Election shall be conducted by a duly constituted Electoral Committee to be appointed on the floor of the AGM by the outgoing Executive with the approval of members at the meeting.
- The Electoral Committee shall be dissolved upon the conclusion of the elections.
- Elected officers shall assume their posts immediately upon conclusion of the elections.