Analysis from the Atlas VPN report concerning cyberattacks on government has shown seven key points of how government bodies in at least 27 countries across the world were affected.
- There were 49 significant cyber incidents concerning government agencies in H1 2023 — an 11% rise from the same time last year.
- The attacks affected government bodies in at least 27 countries across the world.
- Since 2005, government agencies worldwide have experienced a total of 616 significant cyberattacks.
- 56% of them occurred just in the last 5 years (including H1 2023).
- US government agencies encountered the greatest number of attacks in 2023, with 16% specifically aimed at the country.
- When it comes to potential perpetrators, Russian hackers are at the forefront, believed to be responsible for approximately 29% of these attacks.
- Roughly a quarter (12) of all cyberattacks targeting government agencies worldwide in H1 2023 can be attributed to cyberespionage campaigns.