Nigeria is not among the ten countries in Africa where MTN Group is inviting developers across several markets to participate in an Open API Hackathon, with a challenge to create a mobile application that uses MoMo APIs for use in their markets.
The ten countries, where the hackathon will be conducted by MTN Group Fintech are: eSwatini, Zambia, Congo Brazzaville, Rwanda, Uganda, Cameroon, Benin, Cote d’Ivoire, Ghana and Guinea Conakry.
Finalists stand the chance to win up to USD 5000 in prize money in their respective countries.
In a statement, MTN said the MTN Group’s Mobile Money Application Interface (API) is inviting developers to compete and create an innovative application for the markets in which they are registered. The application, according to MTN can process financial transactions with added capabilities that go beyond processing payments and drive both financial inclusion and literacy.
“MTN is committed to extending financial and digital inclusion across the continent in furtherance of its strategy to build a pan-African Fintech platform that will power the digital economy and serve as a catalyst for social and economic growth in Africa,” the statement quoted Serigne Dioum, MTN Group Chief Fintech Officer.
It added that with Open API Platform, MTN reaches out to Africa’s resourceful talents and enables them to grow and create opportunities by leveraging its MoMo Platform. “We have no doubt that it is by collaborating with the talents of Africa that we will expand the service offering available on MoMo,” Serigne said.
About the challenge:
- The challenge runs from 18 July 2022 until 9 September 2022
- Developers will have 4 weeks to submit their idea of an innovative financial and transactional app that must include the usage of MTN Mobile Money APIs
- The developers are required to create a mobile application that uses MTN MoMo APIs; the mobile application needs to target consumers, merchants or businesses.
- The application must provide a practical and valuable solution that can be deployed in the market where the applicants have registered and can cover use cases beyond payment but must utilise MTN MoMo APIs.
- MTN in each participating country will select the top 12 applicants to progress to the prototyping phase
- The preselected applicants will be required to make a live demo of their application to the adjudicator
- Interested developers can find out more here