Global cybersecurity and digital privacy company, Kaspersky has through its Digital Payment survey studies recommended five ways Nigerians can securely embrace digital payment technologies without falling victims to phishing scams.
The recommendations are:
- Do not share your PIN, password or any other financial information with anyone online or offline.
- Avoid using public Wi-Fi to make any online transactions.
- Use a separate credit or debit card to make online transactions. Set a spending limit on the card which can help keep a track of financial transactions.
- Shop from trusted and official websites.
- Use a reliable security solution such as Kaspersky Total Security on all your devices which are used for financial transactions. It helps to detect fraudulent or suspicious activity and check the security of visited websites.
For developers, banks and companies involved in providing digital payment services, Kaspersky also recommends:
- Invest in holistic cybersecurity solutions that can help detect fraud across multiple levels of online payment processes and consumer touchpoints.
- Advanced attacks by APT groups on financial institutions are also on a rise. In-depth visibility and threat intelligence are a necessity to keep customers protected and to ensure business continuity. Using the Kaspersky Threat Intelligence service is helpful to support your IT teams in analysing and mitigating threats.
- Conduct cyber awareness training for employees continuously. This will help employees know the red flags to look for when an organisation is under attack and understand their role in protecting the organisation.