Kaspersky experts have recommended seven steps that can be taken to contain the success of the Advanced Persistent Threat (APT) operations inside their victims’ networks.
Recall, experts from Kaspersky had identified some factors such as human factors, insufficient security measures, challenges with updates and configuration of cybersecurity solutions that are frequently encountered during incident response activities.
- If an enterprise has operational technology (OT) or critical infrastructure, make sure it is separated from the corporate network or at least that there are no unauthorised connections.
- Conduct regular security audits of OT systems to identify and eliminate possible vulnerabilities.
- Establish continuous vulnerability assessment and vulnerability management process.
- Use ICS network traffic monitoring, analysis and detection solutions for better protection from attacks potentially threatening technological processes and main enterprise assets.
- Make sure you protect industrial endpoints as well as corporate ones. Kaspersky Industrial CyberSecurity solution includes dedicated protection for endpoints and network monitoring to reveal any suspicious and potentially malicious activity in industrial network.
- To get a more realistic understanding of risks associated with vulnerabilities in OT solutions and to make informed decisions on mitigating them, we recommend that you get access to Kaspersky ICS Vulnerability Intelligence in the form of human-readable reports or a machine-readable data feed, depending on your technical capabilities and needs.
- Dedicated ICS security training for IT security teams and OT engineers is crucial to improve response to new and advanced malicious techniques.